- 3/4 pound chicken gizzards
- 3 1/2 cups hot chicken broth or beef broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 pound ground lean pork
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions with tops
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or a few dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/2 pound chicken livers, finely diced
Preparation:Simmer gizzards in the chicken or beef broth for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove gizzards with a slotted spoon; grind or mince. Reserve broth. Heat bacon drippings and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy casserole. Sauté the pork and gizzards over high heat until pork is no longer pink. Lower heat; add vegetables and seasonings and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add rice and reserved broth; bring rapidly to a boil, stir once, cover, and lower heat. Simmer for 15 minutes, until rice is tender.
Sauté minced chicken livers in remaining butter for 3 minutes. Toss with the rice, taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper if necessary. Cover and let rice fluff in a 225° oven for 10 minutes .
Serves 4 to 6.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cumin, black pepper, coriander, 1/4 cup chili powder, salt, and soy sauce. In a separate small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup chili powder and blackened seasoning. Set aside.
- Cut ribs from roast, and place in a roasting pan. They will act as a roasting rack. Rub the meat all over with the soy sauce mixture. Then rub and coat with the Cajun seasoning mixture. Let marinate for at least one hour or wrap in plastic, and chill overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- Remove any plastic from roast, and place pan into the preheated oven. Roast uncovered for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Pour water into the pan to produce moist heat. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), and continue roasting for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature is at least 130-140 degrees F/55-60 degrees C) for medium rare, or (145-155 degrees F/63-68 degrees C) for medium . Let the roast stand for 30 minutes before carving to let the juices return to the centre.
Cajun Style Seasoning