Makes about 24 Blini
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast (not rapid-rise)
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, separated
- Toppings of choice
- In a large bowl, mix flours, salt and instant yeast, and make a well in the centre.
- Pour in milk, mixing until smooth. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Stir cooled melted butter and egg yolk into batter. In a separate bowl, whisk egg white until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter. Cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Drop quarter-size dollops of dough into pan without crowding. Cook for about 1 minute or until bubbles form and break. Turn and cook for about 30 seconds. Cover blini and keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with toppings of choice: red or black caviar, smoked salmon or other fish, chopped hard-cooked eggs, minced red or white onion, sour cream or creme fraiche, chopped dill and lemon wedges.