1/2 tsp saffron strands (approx)
2 oz (50 g) fennel bulb
400 g fresh sardines (approx)
100 g onion
2 tbsp olive oil or sunflower oil
3 tbsp concentrated tomato puree (paste)
100 g pine kernels
1/3 cup (70 g) seedless raisins
450 g spaghetti, tagliatelli or fettuccini
salt and pepper
2 tbsp Marsala
1. Soak the saffron in 1 tsp of water.
2. Blanch the fennel, drain, and separate the fleshy layers. Chop them finely.
3. Cut the fish into 2cm pieces.
4. Skin and chop the onion.
5. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, and sauté the onion gently for 2-3 minutes until tender.
6. Add the fish, tomato puree, pine kernels, raisins, the saffron water, and fennel. Mix well and draw off the heat.
7. Cook the pasta in fast boiling salted water until just soft. Drain and keep hot.
8. Return the pan of fish to the heat, and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring gently. Season well.
9. Add the stock if the mixture seems too dry to coat the pasta, then add the Marsala. Simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.
10. Place the pasta on a heated serving dish, pour the sardine mixture over it, and toss well.